Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Herbert and Maudie

Time for an update..... Here are a few new creatures....

Herbert and Maudie

I enjoy the process of making dolls not knowing how they will be, what exactly they will become, look like. I had little idea, for example, that Maudie would be quite like a female doll and have a human-like face.

I don't make my creatures to look like anything or anyone in particular. They are tactile objects that have their own stories. I make them because I like to work three-dimensionally, rather than paint, or draw, though I do paint and draw. My creatures are a lovely way to play with different techniques and ideas.

It's been very chilly today, but the sun came out and the creatures love to have their photos taken on the windowsill. Taking photographs of black fabric is not all that easy though, I love the contrast of black with colours.

A friend said to me recently: I love all the colours you use, they are so happy!

I did not always make happy dolls, for some time they had subdued tones. Now I love these rich vintage-y tones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home